This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEWAY AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES WEST OF CANTEEN AT SOHO FOUNDRY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEWAY AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES WEST OF CANTEEN AT SOHO FOUNDRY

List entry Number: 1077142

Location

GATEWAY AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES WEST OF CANTEEN AT SOHO FOUNDRY, FOUNDRY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sandwell

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDWELL MB FOUNDRY LANE (off) SP 08 NW Smethwick 9/78 Gateway and gate approximately 50 metres 30.3.87 west of canteen at Soho Foundry II

Gateway and gate. 1837, moved to present position in C20. Cast iron with surround of sandstone and brick. Gate has flat top and some attached stylised floral decoration and is set within an ovolo-moulded sandstone surround with round arch. The keystone is inscribed: "AD 1837". Within the tympanum of the arch is a cast iron figure of an elephant. A C20 inscription beside the gateway reads: "This cast iron gate and arch were brought here from the residence of James Watt, Heathfield Hall, Handsworth, built 1790 demolished 1925". Soho Foundry is on the site of the foundry established in 1796 by Boulton, Watt and Sons for the manufacture of steam engine parts.

Listing NGR: SP0358788708

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 03587 88708

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:28:39.

End of official listing