This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1077168

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, STAFFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Walsall

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219150

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB STAFFORD STREET SP 09 NW 7/94 Church of St Peter - II

Church. Begun 1839 and consecrated in 1841, by Isaac Highway of Walsall, with chancel added in 1910. Brick with slate and tile roofs. Orientation reversed, but for purposes of description assumed to be conventional. Comprises a west tower, nave, and lower chancel. Tower has angle buttresses to lower stage, with attached octagonal shafts above, which terminate as pinnacles. There are three string courses, one below an embattled parapet. Below the lancet bell openings are clock faces. Above the pointed west doorway is a lancet window. To each side of the tower, in the angle with the west wall of the nave, is a low porch, each with a door to the west and a lancet window to the side. The nave is of seven bays, with lancets separated by buttresses. The chancel is of two bays to the north and one to the south, with paired lancets, and has triple stepped lancets to the east. Interior: west gallery with blind tracery front carried on iron columns. Queen-post roof has outer struts and diagonal cusped braces to the principals. The chancel has a pointed stone arch and an open timber roof with arch-braced collars. The narrower sanctuary has a pointed moulded stone arch. The windows have stone inner arches with detached shafts. There are twin sedilia, and an alabaster reredos. The carved timber pulpit with stone base was given in 1904 and is carved with tracery decoration.(VCH, Staffs, Vol VII, p 236).

Listing NGR: SP0101399408

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1976), 236

National Grid Reference: SP 01013 99408

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:00:20.

End of official listing