CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077171

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, VICARAGE WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 19:14:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, VICARAGE WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Walsall (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 01216 98031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for;

WALSALL VICARAGE WALK SP 0198 SW 15/99 Church of St Mary and attached presbytery II

the grade shall be amended to read, II* (star).

------------------------------------

WALSALL MB VICARAGE WALK SP 0198 SW 15/99 Church of St Mary and attached presbytery - II Roman Catholic church. 1825 - 7 by Joseph Ireland, with presbytery of 1833. Stuccoed brick with slate roof. Greek style, with moulded plinth, giant Doric pilasters, entablature, and pediments at east and west. West wall has clasping pilasters, and two further pilasters flanking the doorway, which slopes inwards towards the top. This has an architrave and moulded cornice. The north and south walls are each of five bays, the outer ones recessed between pilasters. The windows have lugged architraves and a sill band. The east wall is similar to the west wall, but has no openings. To its left is a single storey one-bay link to the presbytery, which is pedimented and of two storeys and three bays. The two left-hand bays have a single bay window on the ground floor. The doorway is in the right hand bay. Interior: the church has a shallow coffered tunnel vault. The west gallery with organ is carried on two Doric columns. At the east end are four engaged fluted Ionic columns with entablature, with pilasters on the return walls which have acanthus necking.

Listing NGR: SP0121698031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 219157

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing