CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077229

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:08:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: North Pickenham

National Grid Reference: TF 86554 06920

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH PICKENHAM THE STREET TF 80 NE 5/41 Church of St. Andrew 23.6.60 II*

Parish church. Largely rebuilt 1863 by D. Male, but retaining much of earlier west tower and north transept. Flint with limestone dressings. Roof slated, with crested ridge to nave and chancel; copper covered south aisle roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle, south porch. South porch with angle-buttresses to gable; crocketted pinnacles and gable cross. Niche over doorway with cusped ogee head. Two-light west window, blocked east window opening. Windows generally have 19th century Decorated tracery with stilted hood moulds and head stops. East gable has a plinth with an inscription recording the rebuilding work of 1863. Staged buttresses to north and south walls. North transept has parapeted gable with staged angle buttresses; four-light Perpendicular north window and three-light Perpendicular east window. North wall of nave has central buttress dividing window bays above which rises a chimney stack, with octagonal stone shaft. Angle buttress at north west corner containing the date 1863. West tower largely medieval with restored openings. Staged angle buttresses to west wall. Square stair turret at south-east corner. Castellated parapet. North transept contains wall monuments. Very low doorway into east wall of tower with single hollow chamfer to arch. Sanctus bell opening above tower arch.

Listing NGR: TF8655406920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221038

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing