CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077286
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077286.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 15:52:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Ickburgh
National Grid Reference:
TL 81644 95067

Details

ICKBURGH

1677/5/23 THE STREET 23-JUN-60 Church of St Peter

GV II*



Parish church. Tower C14; the rest 1865-6 by R.M. Phipson. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Plaintile roofs. Nave with north aisle and north porch; chancel with extension of north aisle. C14 west tower with diagonal buttresses and cusped Y-traceried 2-light bell-openings. Crenellated parapet with chequer flushwork. Fine timber framed north porch in Medieval style on a flint plinth. Wavy braces and cusped barge boards. Alternating Y-traceried and 3-circle headed 3-light windows; 4 to south wall and 4 to north aisle. Chancel with 2 2-light windows and a 3-light east window in Geometric style. North chapel with a 3-light east window and 2 2-light windows. Interior. Medieval tower arch of 2 hollow-chamfered orders supported on carved corbels representing angels holding shields. 4-bay arcade of 2 plain chamfered orders on circular piers. Elaborately carved corbels serving as responds to east and west. Chancel arch with carved leaf capitals. Double piscina with triple sedilia in chancel. Arch braced nave roof with carved angels. Polygonal stone pulpit in early C14 style with coloured marble and carved biblical scenes beneath ogee arches. Octagonal font in similar mode. Complete set of Victorian glass mainly by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.



Listing NGR: TL8164495067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220970
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05894/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].