ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1077361

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1991

Statutory Address: ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST, MILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 19:47:31.

Location

Statutory Address: ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Elsing

National Grid Reference: TG 04987 17690

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

TG 01 NE ELSING MILL STREET

3/41 Elsing Mill including Wheel House and wheel adjoining east

II

Water Mill, converted into a house. 1809, converted in late C20. Painted brick and weatherboarded timber frame on second floor. Pantile roof with shaped barge boards to gable ends. Brick gable end stacks. L-shaped on plan with wing at rear of right hand end (SW) wheel house at left (east) end and outshut on right (west) end. 3 storeys and attic. 4 window north front with C20 casement windows, those on ground floor and first floor are segmentally headed openings. Doorway at centre, another on first floor to right. Gabled hoist housing cantilevered out to right of centre above eaves. Single storey weatherboarded wheelhouse on left (east) end with painted brick gable end and pantile roof; at rear the wheelhouse has 2 windows with boarded shutters and plank door to left. At rear of main mill building the wing on right has gable end. INTERIOR: unchamfered cross-beams on hanging knee braces. Some timber framing exposed at rear end and on second floor. Tenoned (or butt) purlin roofs but over main range the purlins are missing. All machinery has been removed except for sluice gates and gearing in rear wing and in the wheel-house low-breast undershot treble wheel with cast iron naves, arms and rings and wooden shaft and floats survive intact.

Note: Built in 1809 as a paper mill on the site of an earlier mill. In 1834 or before it became a corn and seed crushing mill and was the Bylaugh estate mill before it was sold in 1917. Water power was replaced by electricity in circa 1930's and later stones were replaced by a hammer mill. Machinery was taken out when it was converted into a house in the late C20. Situated on River Wensum.

Listing NGR: TG0498717690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 220747

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing