CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077393
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077393.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:10:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Riddlesworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 96666 81284

Details

TL 98 SE RIDDLESWORTH 5/90 Church of St.Peter 16/7/58 - II*

Parish church. Early C14 with C18 repairs and C19 restoration. Flint with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses to west, angle to east. Stilted doorways to north and south with moulded jambs, the south with hood on head stops, the north blocked with lancet window. Above south door one trefoiled ogee niche. String courses define stages. Trefoil light to ringing chamber on south. Restored Y tracery 2-light belfry windows below crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with C19 cinquefoiled side lights and simple wave moulded inner south door. All windows C19 of various types between flat buttresses : on south 2-light cusped under square hood and 2 2-light trefoiled with reticulation unit over. One of each type to north nave east of blocked arched north door. Dentil eaves cornice to nave. Diagonal chancel buttresses and 3-light Perpendicular east window, the chancel buttresses and quoins in gault brick. trefoil arched light to north chancel. Gabled C19 vestry at east of nave north with tall chimney. Interior. Rood stairs of nave in centre of south side suggests C19 extension of nave. C19 roof of 2 tiers; butt purlins and braces to collars. Chancel roof similar. Late Cl7 irontwist altar rails with moulded handrails and pair of central gates, quadruple irontwist balusters at Intervals. Plain octagonal font. Painted Royal Arms of Charles II dated 1666. Early C17 pulpit panelled with rosette decorated arches and top panels. Tester with frieze and pendants. Fine marble wall monument in nave north wall to Sir Drue Drury 1617. 3 scrolled brackets support inscribed tablet and plinth upon which stand 2 robed angels each parting curtain to reveal Sir Drue Drury kneeling before reading table. Putto head looks from ceiling of curtained niche under semi-circular projection with Doric frieze decorated with 4 coloured shields, 2 further heraldic shields within moulded roundels stand on cornice framing achievement under bow fronted open pediment.

Listing NGR: TL9666681284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220610
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12116/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].