CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077430
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:24:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
North Lopham
National Grid Reference:
TM 03630 82549

Details

TM 08 SW NORTH LOPHAM THE STREET (west side)

6/77 Church of St. Nicholas 16/7/58 - I

Parish church. Early C14 chancel and nave, mid C14 south aisle and porch, western tower c:1470-1500. Partly rendered flint with ashlar dressings with plain tiled roofs and slate porch. Chancel restored 1862. Tower in 3 stages. High flushwork plinth with monograms on south face : crowned T (Trinity); crowned MR (Maria Regina); crowned A (St. Andrew - previous dedication). Arched west door below 2-light Perpendicular window. Diagonal buttresses also with flushwork. 2-light Y ringing chamber and belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. South face has ashlar inscription panels representing donors and saints reading from the top : MRA (Maria Regina and Andrew); PD RD (unidentified); W. A (William Aleyn, donations 1500); JB (John Barker, donations 1486); MB (Marion Bussle); RB (Robert Bolle, donations 1500); Pray for the souls of John Kailli. Crenellated south aisle with diagonal buttresses and 4 alternating windows either 2-light reticulated or 2-light with flower motif, the east window being the latter and of 3 lights. Lancet to west of chancel, arched priest's door and 2-light flowing window of 1862. 3-light restored reticulated east window. Slate lean-to C19 north vestry and one restored 2-light window to north chancel. 2 stepped brick buttresses support north nave wall pierced 2 2-light Perpendicular panel windows, one restored Y window and arched north door. Interior. 4 bay arcade on bevelled elongated piers with demi-shafts east and west carrying polygonal capitals. Sunk quadrant arch mouldings. Tall tower arch. C19 aisle, nave and chancel roofs, the latter scissor braced. Fine C14 octagonal font, the bowl tapering and with lightly cut tracery motifs, the stem cut with rolls and flutes, some with wave mouldings. Early C17 crown cover with ball finial. Painted Royal Arms of George III on south aisle wall. Lead plate to church wardens hangs on south door dated 1795. North door blocked, as is chancel priest's door. Bench sedilia and trefoil piscina in chancel.

Listing NGR: TM0363082549

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220596
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00361/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].