CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077435
Date first listed:
30-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077435.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:31:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Tittleshall
National Grid Reference:
TF 89498 21122

Details

TF 82 SE 3/50

TITTLESHALL, CHURCH ROAD,

Church of St.Mary

30.5.60

I

Parish church. C14 and later. Flint with ashlar dressings and a brick mausoleum. Slate and lead roofs. Western tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with mausoleum to north. C14 west tower with diagonal buttresses. Pair of niches in buttresses with cusped and crocketted ogee arches and statue bases supported by Atlas figures. 2-light west window with single cusped soufflet. Empty arched niche above and circular traceried sound holes to north and south. Restored 2-light bell openings. Nave with 6 3-light Perpendicular windows with embattled transoms. Porch with badly worn moulded entrance. Plain chamfered north and south entrances. Chancel with blocked priest's door and 3 2-light Decorated windows, 2 with mouchettes flanking dagger and one with 4 radiating petals. Very fine reticulated 5-light east window. C18 Coke family mausoleum with honeycomb ventilation openings, one Victorian moulded brick 2-light window and 5 later sloping buttresses. Tower arch with half shafts, filletted rolls and wave mouldings. Simple cusped nave piscina to south. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils. Chancel arch with polygonal responds. Outstanding Coke family monuments in chancel, Alabaster monument to Briget Coke, née Paston, wife of Edward (died 1598). Arched niche with kneeling effigy at prie-Dieu which carries the inscription. Flanking pilasters with partly painted carved trophies surrounded by ribbon-work. Carved achievement in strapwork surround above and 8 kneeling weepers below. Black and white marble monument to Sir Edward Coke (died 1634) by Nicholas Stone. Simple sarcophagus on pedestal with lying effigy. 2 long inscriptions above. Pair of flanking Tuscan columns supporting a full entablature with putti on frieze and broken segmental pediment. Carved and painted achievement in and above tympanum flanked by 4 reclining figures of the Virtues on pediment extrados. Tomb chest in black and white marble to Robert Coke (died in 1679). Consoles flank inscription and support a broken and open segmental pediment with achievement. Veined marble monument to Thomas first Earl of Leicester. (died 1759) and his son (died 1753) by Charles Atkinson. Erected in 1760. Gadrooned sarcophagus on pedestal with a carved and painted achievement above surrounded by extravagant mantling. Flanked by pair of Composite columns supporting a dentilated pediment. Carved bust figures to the sides of the Earl and Countess by Roubiliac. White marble monument in memory of Jane Coke (died 1800) by Nollekens. Dated 1805. Flat obelisk background. Pedestal with inscription and supporting the carving which is centred around a broken column with standing figure of woman (effigy) leaning on it in front of opened book. Angel on cloud above and putto below holding up a flaming heart.

Listing NGR: TF8949821122

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220506
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04690/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].