CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077440
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077440.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:01:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Blo' Norton
National Grid Reference:
TM 01222 79698

Details

TM 07 NW BLO' NORTON

8/3 Church of St. Andrew 16/7/58 - II* Parish church. C13, remodelled C14, restored 1879. Partly rendered flint with ashlar dressings and slate roof. West tower and continuous nave and chancel. 2 stage tower with diagonal buttresses to west and flat to east all with chequered flushwork. 2-light west window with C19 timber Y tracery below round-arched lancet. Square lights to ringing chamber to north and west. Projecting square stair turret at south-east corner. 2-light cusped and ogeed belfry windows under pointed heads and hood mould on label stops. Crenellated parapet above string course. 4 flat buttresses to south nave with 5 assorted windows : 2-tight ogeed under square hood with supermullion; 2-light ogeed with reticulation unit, arched under hood; 2 C19 Y lancets to chancel and one plain lancet. Low arched priest's door. East parapet with Latin cross. Flint east wall with triple lancet group with stiff leaf hood stops, all 1879. One hollow chamfered lancet to chancel north and a brick repaired flat buttress. 2-light cusped ogeed window to nave with reticulation unit under segmental arch on labels and 2-light flat-headed window at west beyond porch. C16 gabled north porch, timber framed with some brick. 4 centred braces over gate with floriated spandrels. Interior. Tall chamfered tower arch of C13. Continuous scissor braced roof of 1879. Windows with deep sconsion and hollow chamfered rare arches. East window group under semi-circular rere arch. Arched rood stair opening. Octagonal C14 font with stem and bowl decorated with blind tracery panels in form of encircled quatrefoils, shields, incised panels including 6-pointed star. Painted Royal Arms of William and Mary (1689-1702) under tower. Roll moulded north door with hood and cinquefoiled holy water stoup to left on exterior.

Listing NGR: TM0122279698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220522
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/01216/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].