CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077464
Date first listed:
30-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:56:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Colkirk
National Grid Reference:
TF 91785 26549

Details

TF 92 NW COLKIRK CHURCH ROAD

1/14 Church of St.Mary 30.5.60 - II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with some ferruginous conglomerate and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Tower-porch to south, nave with north aisle of 1871 and chancel. C14 tower-porch with diagonal buttresses to south and single angle buttresses in line with nave wall. Massive porch entrance of 3 orders moulded with hollow chamfers and filletted rolls on trilobe responds with bell capitals. Carved head label stops. Moulded C14 south doorway. Cusped Y-traceried bell-openings. Nave and chancel with 4 restored 2-light Perpendicular windows to south. Similar 3-light west window with 4-centred doorway below. North aisle with 3 similar re-set 2-light windows and one 3- light replica. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Chancel arch with polygonal responds. Cusped angle piscina in chancel. Font probably late Norman. Circular bowl with 4 pairs of engaged shafts supported on 4 colonnettes with cushion capitals and bases. Victorian 4-bay north arcade in C14/C15 style. Wall tablet (from ruinous church of Oxwick) of 1663 to Samuell Smithe with long and interesting inscription on slate bordered by veined alabaster with a carved and painted achievement above surmounted by an open segmental pediment. Some fragments of C15 stained glass in south east chancel window.

Listing NGR: TF9178526549

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220469
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05472/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank H. P. Wadeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].