CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077529
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077529.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
New Buckenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 08812 90557

Details

TM 08 90 NEW BUCKENHAM CHURCH STREET 12/65 Church of St. Martin 16.7.58 I

Parish church. Flint, randomly knapped, with ashlar dressings. Lead nave and aisle roofs with machine plain tiled chancel. West tower in building early C16, nave and aisles C15 restored 1879, chancel C13 but rebuilt 1895. 4 stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Ashlar plinth with panels carved with route tournantes and tracery continuous round south nave and porch. Moulded and shafted west door flanked by flushwork panels below frieze of shields. 3-light panel traceried window with hood continuous with string course. Third stage has pierced ventilation panels and belfry windows of 3- lights with rising super mullions in 4-centred arches. Clock face blocks south side. Large gargoyles over belfry windows. Corner pinnacles to parapet are crocketted. Brick and flint flushwork. Aisles buttressed diagonally at ends and flat buttressed to flanks. 3-light panelled south aisle west window. South porch with dislocated base and string course. Exterior arch 1983 flanked by flushwork panels and diagonal buttresses each with statuary niche on lower set-offs and crenellations on upper. Ogeed and vaulted niche over doorway. Moulded early C14 inner door. Porch roof has longitudinal beam with double wave chamfers and stops. Crenellated flushwork parapet and blocked windows east and west. 4 3-light C15 panel traceried aisle windows under 4-centred arches with hood moulds. Moulded jambs and brick relieving arches. 3-light east window. 2 south chancel windows of 1895 and arched priest's door. 4- light Decorated east window of 1895 between diagonal buttresses. Gabled kneelers and chequered flintwork in east wall. North side as south with minor variations. 10 panel windows in clerestory north and south under 4-centred arches with hood moulds, moulded jambs and brick relieving arches. Arched north door. Interior. 5 bay arcade. Quatrefoil piers to south with hollow fillets between foils on high moulded bases. Polygonal capitals and double wave moulded arches, all early C15. North arcade 1479 : elongated lozenge piers on high polygonal bases and capitals to east and west. Continuous casement moulding into arches. Tower arch early C16, also with continuous casements and bundle of wave mouldings. Clerestory windows set randomly. Nave roof is false hammerbeam on arched braces and wall posts. 2 tiers of moulded butt purlins, principals and ridge piece. Restored 1879 when carved head corbels renewed. Aisle roofs of arched braces with traceried spandrels to moulded purlins and principals. All windows except clerestory with internal moulding. 4-centred arch opens to rood stairs. North-east nave chapel entered through high bowtell moulded arch. 4-centred arch into chancel now blocked by organ. Chancel arch C19. Bench sedilia and trefoil piscina in chancel. 4-centred wall tomb in north wall under squared hood decorated with shields and roundels. Brass of woman in profile missing from rear wall. C19 hammerbeam chancel roof. Altar table at east end of south aisle C17. 6 C15 poppyheads to benches of 1879. Octagonal font dated 1619, the stem Decorated with Green men and lions, the bowl alternating with shields and tracery details.

Listing NGR: TM0881290557

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220312
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05082/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].