CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077572
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077572.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:20:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Hockham
National Grid Reference:
TL 95071 92093

Details

TL 9592 HOCKHAM

13/45 Church of Holy Trinity 16/ 7/58 - I

Parish church. First half C14. Flint with ashlar dressings. Pantiled nave and chancel and leaded aisles. West tower collapsed early C18 and replaced 1854 by bell tower on 2 flat buttresses rising full height and connected by arch at roof line. Bell chamber octagonal, pierced by trefoiled lights under fleuron frieze roofed with broach spire. Aisle west windows are lancets, that to south with mouchette wheel. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs. South porch with round arched opening of wave mouldings and renewed 2-light side windows under gabled roof with shouldered parapet. 2 south and one east aisle windows : 3-light C15 panel tracery under segmental arch with hood on label stops; 3-light reticulated with cusped lozenge units below hood on stops; 3- light reticulated. Chancel has low side window in form of cusped light transomed at base, one 2-light square-headed window above priest's door with subsidiary arches below vertical mullions and mullion shafts, and one 2-light converging mouchette window. Central flat buttress and dentilled eaves cornice. Diagonal east buttresses enclosing 4-light reticulated east window with cusping and hood mould. Raised parapet with Latin cross. Vestry added to north chancel wall cutting into buttress to east of single cusped lancet. 2-light reticulated north aisle east window and 2 2-light north windows, one cusped, the other panelled. Blocked north door with wave and sunk quadrant mouldings. Nave clerestory of 3 2-light segmental - headed windows north and south. Interior 3-bay arcade : south piers quatrefoil with fillets to north and south lobes, moulded bases and capitals and double sunk quadrant arches; north piers quatrefoil with fillets in diagonals, similar bases and capitals and double chamfered arches. Roof 1953. Fragments of C14 roof in south aisle. Tall chancel arch with wave mouldings and polygonal capitals. Wall painting above chancel arch of c.1450 depicting Holy Trinity, Virgin and St. Gabriel flanking cross. Subsidiary angels with scrolls on red foliate diaper background. 2 north aisle paintings of c.1350. One not recognisable, the other of Pilgrims. South aisle has piscina decorated with crocketted and finialed ogee between buttresses. Chancel piscina of 2 trefoiled lights divided by column under straight arch. Remains of sedilia. Barrel roof to chancel. Early C14 octagonal font with punched tracery patterns. Good poppy-head benches in nave of C15, some with carved arm rests depicting figures.



Listing NGR: TL9507192093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220207
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11947/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].