CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077578
Date first listed:
21-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077578.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:35:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Shropham
National Grid Reference:
TL 98476 92789

Details

TL 99 SE SHROPHAM CHURCH ROAD

7/61 Church of St. Peter 21/7/58 - I

Parish church. Mid C13 nave,north aisle and chancel, remodelled C15. C15 west tower. Restored 1867. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Tower of 3 stages on plinth of ashlar blocks. Diagonal buttresses with flush- work and stair tower to south-east. West door with 3 orders of wave mouldings below 3-light transomed window. Belfry windows 2-light but missing tracery. Gabled south porch with coped parapet. Moulded door with hood and statuary niche above. Knapped flint facing to south. 2-light square headed windows east and west with blocked ogee sub-arches. Porch roof of arched braces on wall posts with ridge piece and single butt purlins. Flat buttresses to nave and chancel. 3 3-light renewed Perpendicular windows to south nave above string course interrupted by buttresses. 2 3-light renewed windows to chancel south and north c1380, probably accurately restored: tall cusped lights with super mullions rising from divisions and apex of arches and cusped to form panels. Hood mould and brick and flint relieving arches. Low priest's door with wave mouldings and hood continuous with string course. Chancel buttresses have flushwork to lower step and niche to upper. 5-light east window c.1380: rising central mullions form panel tracery in head flanked by sub-arcuated paired lights with composition of mouchettes. Pitched ndrth aisle with square- headed fenestration of panel tracery, 2 2-light to north, one 3-light to east (St. Katherine's chapel). Mid C13 north door with 2 columns and stiff leaf capitals, square impost blocks, hollow mouldings and 2 orders of dog tooth. North clerestory of 4 cusped circular windows in square frames, probably late C13. Interior. C13 Octagonal 4 bay north arcade with moulded capitals and bases supporting double chamfered arches. Clerestory windows above apex of arches. Fine King post nave roof. Moulded tie beams on arched braces rising from corbels to principals, also moulded. Moulded King posts. One tier butt purlins, battlemented wall plate and boxed ashlaring. Aisle roof 1867. Tall triple chamfered tower arch, chancel arch with hollows and waves, both Perpendicular. C15 sedilia and piscina, sedilia of 3 crocketed and cusped ogee arches with close panelled spandrels, piscina similar but with pierced spandrels. C15 chancel roof with principals on wall posts, single butt purlins, ridge piece and fleuron bosses. 10 arm chandelier, probably C17. Late C14 octagonal pedestal font with early C17 scrolled font cover. Tower screen is fragment of rood, moved in 1528, but originally C14 : square stiles above plain base in 2-light bays divided by circular muntins; intersecting tracery with mouchettes. C15 iron bound chest and late C13 timber south door. Poppy head benches 1528 but largely now C19 details.

Listing NGR: TL9847692789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220223
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11947/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].