CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077638
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LYNN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:12:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, LYNN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Gayton
National Grid Reference:
TF 73022 19262

Details

GAYTON LYNN ROAD TF 71 NW (south side) 6/26 Church of St. Nicholas 15.8.60 I Parish church, C14, restored 1850. Mainly flint with some carstone and a few erratics. Stone dressings lead roof. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. Tall 4-stage tower with short diagonal buttresses and stone plinth; tall west window with Y tracery; second stage with small quatrefoil sound holes, clock face to west, string course above. Third stage with Y tracery bell openings, steep gable line of former roof to east having blocked square opening within, string course above; 4th stage with 2-light bell openings of reticulated tracery; string course to parapet above with gargoyle to south and west, that to north lost. Embattled parapet with some flushwork panelling, angle pinnacles of seated evangelistic symbols holding shields. Pitch covered dome with octagonal stone block having windvane finial. Nave: east gable with blocked lancet; north and south clerestoreys alike of 4 openings, 2 cusped lights with trefoil under semi- circular head alternating with circular openings with quatrefoils. North aisle with slate roof, diagonal buttresses at angles and 3 stepped buttresses; 3 Y tracery openings, that to left wide, that to right cusped; west return with similar opening; north doorway with continuous double roll moulding. Oval window to east return with quatrefoil and eyelets. South aisle similar to north but with 2 buttresses, the central opening with cusped Y tracery, west return with cusped Y tracery opening having a trefoil with small dagger eyelet between the lights. South porch of flint with some dressed limestone, gabled pantile roof with parapet, sundial of 1604 to apex; semi-circular porch arch with continuous hollow chamfered and roll mouldings; double cusp-headed lights under a segmental head to returns; clasping purlin roof; south doorway as north. Chancel with tiled roof, diagonal buttresses; C19 3-light east window with panel tracery with blocked opening of earlier larger window; north and south chancel each with buttress and 2 2-light openings having panel tracery renewed; each with central priest's door, that to north blocked, under pointed segmental head, that to south with figure stops to hood mould. Interior: nave: tall 4 bay arcade north and south with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, chancel arch similar but lower with reduced imposts. 2-tier roof with moulded purlins and principal rafters, foliage bosses, other rafters renewed, hammer beams against tower and chancel walls. C14 octagonal font withquatrefoils to faces; square headed rear arch to oval window at east of north aisle; south aisle with aumbry. Chancel: arch-braced 3-tier roof of 1850 with foliage and heraldic bosses; Perpendicular piscina and sedilia with cusped heads to arcade; north priest's door with flower stops, oak dove over apex of east window. South aisle with trefoil headed piscina and corbel plinth to right of east window. Tower: tall double chamfered arch with gabled roof line above; hollow moulding to rear arch of tower window and west window of south aisles; tower dome in brick with 8 stone ribs having neither corbels nor central boss; 10-step newel stair at north-east angle to parapet.

Listing NGR: TF7302219262

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221958
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04706/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].