This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1077715

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, BELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Feltwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FELTWELL BELL STREET TL 7190 22/1 Church of St. Mary 8.7.59 - I

Parish church. C15 west tower and south aisle, mid C14 chancel, north aisle of 1861-63. Flint with ashlar dressings, rendered to clerestory. Slate roofs. 3 stage tower with angle buttresses upon heavy plinth mouldings. Polygonal stair turret to north-east. Arched west door below 2-light reticulated west window. Ringing chamber lancets to north and south and 2-light reticulated belfry windows. String course below parapet comprising trefoiled panels, alternately wide and narrow. Centre of parapet stepped up and decorated with shields and figures. 4 corner pinnacles. West end of south aisle repaired with brick in C18. 4 4-centred 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows with transomes. Gabled south porch illuminated from sides through 2-light trefoil headed windows. South clerestory of 5 2-light cusped Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches. Aisle and chancel with flat buttresses, diagonal to east. 3 3-light reticulated south chancel windows, that to east shorter to accommodate internal sedilia. String course below low parapet. Splendid 5- light east window of mid C14 : trefoiled lights in disposition of 2-1-2 support cusped petal motif of 5 lobes. One 3-light reticulated window to north chancel. C19 north aisle supported by flat buttresses to flank, diagonal to east and west. 3-light east window in lancet formation. 2 3-light reticulated windows to narrower east bays, 4 2-light Geometric windows to remainder. Corbelled parapet. 4-light Geometric west window to aisle. North door set between 2 buttresses with jambs enlivened by 2 orders of shafts. North clerestory removed on construction of this aisle. Interior. C14 south arcade of 5 bays comprising quatrefoil piers with rolls between the lobes. Moulded bases and capitals. Double sunk quadrant arches. Clerestory windows over spandrels. C19 north arcade of similar design but taller and with lugged plinths. Tall tower arch with semi-circular responds. Chancel arch of same date and style of south arcade. C15 nave roof of roll moulded tie beams dropping on arched braces and wall posts to corbels, the corbels to north C19, those to south C15 figures of angels. Each alternate tie beam is supported on shorter arched braces and carries carved figure of an angel on each side. The major trusses have pierced spandrels and Queen post struts to moulded principals. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. South aisle roof restored 1860 but small carved angels with shields remain. Nave retains 36 C15 benches with pierced backs, poppyheads and mutilated animal or figurative handrests. Chancel screen originally late C15 but much altered; 3 bays right and left of 4-centred opening; tabernacle work and canopies in head; dado with 2 crocketted ogees in each bay; 9 angels with musical instruments decorate stiles below canopy. 2 bay C19 arcade opens from chancel to north aisle chapel supported upon circular pier with annulated subsidiary shafts. Stiff leaf capitals with figures of King David and angels. Chancel roof of principals on arched braces, all of 1860. 14 Cl5 poppyhead bench ends to Cl9 stalls. Flamboyant ogeed stepped sedilia and piscina. Stained glass in chancel windows by Didron (of Paris) 1860. Chancel wall monument to Francis Moundeford 1590 : kneeling figure of knight in semi-circular panel flanked by strapwork pilasters. Inscription panel in apron below is also flanked by strapwork design. Entablature above, upon which stands achievement. To left is wall monument to Osbertus Moundeford 1580 : Kneeling figure of knight with wife and daughter in trefoil arcaded panel flanked by strapwork pilasters. Inscription panel in apron below with strapwork borders. Achievement above entablature. On chancel south wall brass to Margaret Mundford 1528. On north wall large brass to Rev. William Newcombe 1846.

Listing NGR: TL7151890738

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 71518 90738

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 10:19:19.

End of official listing