Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077719
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:03:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hilgay
National Grid Reference:
TL 62254 98114

Details

TL 6298 19/7

HILGAY CHURCH ROAD Church of All Saints

8.7.59

GV II* Parish church. Brick west tower of 1794, remainder of carstone with ashlar dressings: late C14 south aisle, nave and chancel 1869-70 by G.E Street. No north aisle. Slate roofs.

Two stage tower supported by angle buttresses to first stage where belfry is set back at string course. Three-light timber west window. Roundels to north end south. Arched belfry windows with timber trellis screen. Crenellated parapet. West wall of south aisle with remains of early C13 quoining and three-light round-headed Perpendicular window. Flat buttresses to south flank and three three-light renewed Perpendicular windows. Crenellated parapet. Three-light reticulated C14 aisle east window and diagonal buttress to corner. Chancel with flat and diagonal buttresses. One two-light arched window to south supporting rounded trefoil in head. To north one similar window supporting a roundel. Five-light intersecting east window with trefoils and quatrefoils. Transeptal vestry to nave under gabled roof with depressed ogival door below three-light window. Nave with flat buttresses and three three-light arched windows of reticulated or trefoiled pattern.

Interior: four bay arcade of octagonal piers on plinths. Moulded capitals support double chamfered arches. Two eastern bays at division of south-east chapel of reduced height and have two groups of four-light triforium openings above. All is C19. Nave roof of tie beams and queen posts with arched braces to collars. Above collars trusses become scissor braced. South aisle roof of arched braces pierced with wheel and tracery patterns. A number of late C15 poppyheads survive on C19 benches.

Remains of late medieval screen beneath west gallery: three bays to right and left of opening with Perpendicular tracery head, the latter completely renewed. Two similar parclose screens to north and west of south-east chapel. Large C19 oak eagle lectern. Marble and ashlar pulpit of circular form decorated in polychromatic manner.

Wall monument to Henry Howe and Ursula, his wife, 1592: marble with strapwork surround framing three kneeling opposed figures within semi-circular coffered arch. Shields in spandrels below plain architrave.

Listing NGR: TL6225498114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221750
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05608/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Egerton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].