CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1077730

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CROWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 10:36:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CROWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Methwold

National Grid Reference: TL 73237 94827

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

METHWOLD CROWN STREET TL 7394 (north side) 21/31 Church of St. George 8.7.59 G.V. I Parish church. C14 chancel, C15 west steeple, nave and aisles. Flint and clunch with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. 3 stage tower with stepped angle buttresses. Arched west door under square hood, the spandrels decorated with shields. 4-light Perpendicular window above. Ringing chamber lit through lancets, the south side with clock face inscribed Man Know Thyself. Set-back belfry stage with 2-light reticulated and louvred windows. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. 4 stage octagonal turret rises from tower to support spire : blank lower stage; 3 bay arcade of cusped arches; third stage as second but with centre bays on each facet open and louvred; 3 bay open parapet. Thin triangular buttresses at corners of each face. Octagonal crocketed spire. Aisles supported by angle buttresses to west, otherwise flat. 3-light panelled west windows. Gabled south porch with parapet and diagonal buttresses. Plinth course and wave moulded entrance arch. 2-light ogeed and cusped side windows under square hoods. In gable head a wall sundial dated 1721. Holy water stoup to right of entrance. 3 3-light aisle windows with ogee lights below panel tracery. Rebuilt brick parapet. North aisle illuminated by 3 3-light arched windows with transoms. Arched priests' door and parapet. Clerestory of 4 3-light basket-arched windows under brick relieving arches. Rebuilt brick parapet and 3 figurative gargoyles to south. 3 animal gargoyles to north. Repaired bellcote at south-east of nave. 2 2-light south chancel windows under depressed 4-centred arches. Arched priests' door. Angle buttresses to east, flat to flanks. 3-light C14 petal tracery east window. One 2-light window to north. Interior. 4 bay arcade of lozenge piers set on high bases leading into continuous roll and hollow arches. East and west reponds enlivened by figurative capitals. Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Tall tower arch of similar type. C14 double chamfered chancel arch. C15 nave roof of alternate tie and hammer beams. The ties are on arched braces dropping on wall posts to head corbels and have spandrels pierced with panel tracery. Tie beams are decorated with shields, angels, billet moulding and shielded cresting and carry Queen posts and subsidiary cinquefoiled pierced panels to moulded principals. Hammer beams in form of full length flight of carved angels (that to south-west in mining) which carry moulded arched braces to principals. 1 tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Aisle roofs of arched braces on wall posts and head corbels. Moulded principals and one tier butt purlins. Boarded C19 chancel roof : arched braces drop to head corbels. 2 pairs of C15 poppyhead bench ends. Cusped ogee piscina. Rood screen 1909. Brass to Sir Adam de Clifton 1367 : full length figure in chequered armour below cusped and sub-cusped canopy.

Listing NGR: TL7323794827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221774

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing