CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1077734
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCHGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:11:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCHGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Southery
National Grid Reference:
TL 62196 94605

Details

SOUTHERY CHURCHGATE STREET TL 6294 20/44 Church of St. Mary G.V. II Parish church. 1858 by Higham and Robinson. Carstone slips and Bath stone dressings. Slate roofs. West steeple, nave, south aisle and chancel. 3 stage square tower with diagonal buttresses to first stage. 2-light Plate tracery west window and 2-light louvred belfry windows. Leaded broach spire. Flat buttresses to south aisle and 2 or 3-light lancet windows. Vestry at east end of aisle with chimney abutting nave east gable. Chancel fenestration of lancets : triple stepped group to east; paired to flanks. North nave illuminated through 3 2-light Plate tracery windows. Gabled north porch added 1904. Flushwork side parapets and low diagonal buttresses. Cinquefoiled side lancets. Flushwork panels flank arched opening below statuary niche with representation of Virgin and child. Interior. 4 bay south arcade of circular piers on chamfered plinths. Moulded capitals support double chamfered arches. Roof of arched braces on corbels extending to collars. Ashlaring and 2 tiers plain through purlins. South aisle roof similar, the corbels having head carvings. Double chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Chancel screen with flowing tracery. Scissor braced chancel roof.

Listing NGR: TL6219694605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221787
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].