Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077787.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:11:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 79370 28382



10/16 Church of St. 5.6.53. Martin.

G.V. I

Parish church. C14, C15, details largely C18 and C19. Squared and knapped flint, stone and carstone dressings, galleting; slated roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, north porch used as vestry, 2 bay chancel. West tower 1726. Built by Sir Robert Walpole in memory of his grandfather. Gothick, perhaps pointing to the involvement of William Kent. 4 stages with set off angle buttresses. 4-centred arched entrance with bulbous piers. 4-centred window above with switch tracery division, boarding behind, platband below and above with drip mould indentation. Quatrefoil with boarding above. One 2-light window with bulbous shafts with quatrefoil in spandrel and ogee arch with crocketting, detached drip mould arch above, to each face of bell chamber. Battlemented parapet with 4 crocketted angle spirelets. Angles have set off buttresses with stone quoins to bell chamber level, with quoined angles above. North and south faces have blank ground floor 2-centred arches with detached horizontal drip mould above. 2 centred switch tracery boarded windows above. South aisle has one C18 or C19 2-light Perpendicular style east and west window, 3 C19 south 3-light straight headed windows. North aisle, connected with a donation of 1573, has one C18 or C19 Perpendicular style 2-light east window. 2 3-light Perpendicular north windows with some original surviving tracery, one 3-light east window. 5 north and south clerestorey 2-light switch tracery windows of same details as tower. Aisles have limestone parapets, clerestorey has carstone cornice, both of C18 classical inspiration. Chancel has one 2-light south and one 3-light north C15 or C19 Perpendicular style window. East window mid C19 Decorated style. Interior: 4 bay north and south double hollow chamfered arches on alternate octagonal and quatrefoil piers, C14. Chancel arch has trefoil piers and moulded arch, possibly C13. Early English piscina in re-cut setting. C17 stalls with arm rest figures. 4 bay Gothick west family tribune with 4 quadripartite piers, blank tracery against gallery front, probably 1726. Many Walpole family hatchments. Box pews in aisles, some benches in nave. Early C19 Gothick pulpit, carved stairs. In front of chancel arch table tomb monument, said to be of 1307. Figure in mass vestments of a Prior of Cockesford, under ogee arch head with finials. Said to have been removed here in 1522. Sir Robert Walpole, 1st Earl of Oxford and his three successors, included Horace Walpole, buried here.

Listing NGR: TF7937028382


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08986/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].