Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1077798

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:28:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: South Creake

National Grid Reference: TF 85526 36232


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/48 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53.


Parish church. C13, C14, largely C15. West tower, nave and aisles, south porch, chancel and north chapel. Rubble and knapped flint. Slated nave and chancel, leaded aisle roofs. C14 rectangular on plan west tower has stone plinth and quoined angle buttresses with set offs. 4-light Reticulated tracery west window with drip mould strip at base and springing of arch. Lancets to upper chamber, 4 2-light Decorated tracery belfry windows. Moulded eaves, no parapet. South porch has re-positioned C14 richly moulded arch with half columns. Simple C14 north door with arch dying into splayed richly moulded arch. Angle buttresses. Triangular gable with ogee niche, "MR" monograms in flushwork repeated on returns. Decayed angle finials and base of central finial or cross. 2 north and south 2-light windows. 5 bay Perpendicular aisles, on south with 4 right angle and one set off angle cutstone buttresses, on north with 4 right angles and 2 set off angle buttresses. Aisle east and west windows C14 3-light Reticulated tracery, 4 north and south 3-light Perpendicular windows. 5 north and south 3-light Perpendicular tracery clerestorey windows. 5 bay Perpen- dicular clerestorey. Tower east face has line of earlier taller roof pitch. Nave east gable has 2 set off buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular gable east window. C13 and later chancel has 2 c.1300 'Y' tracery with trefoil head south windows. One 3-light Perpendicular window to west with drip mould with label stop heads. Evidence of blocked window or former extension to south. Buttressed east gable with c.1300 5-light switch tracery window. Knapped flint north chancel chapel has 3-light Reticulated tracery east window of opposed inter- laced ogees, moulded frame and drip mould head. Early Perpendicular 2-light north window with battlemented transom. 2 angle buttresses. Chancel north has 2 simple 'Y' tracery windows. Interior: 5 bay north and south Perpendicular arcades, double hollow chamfered arches, outer arch on uninterrupted splay, inner arch with moulded capital. Octagonal seat bases, moulded semi-octagonal inner order, knobbed bases to outer. Nave and aisles have C15 roofs of 5 bays. Nave single hammerbeams with angels supporting arched braces. 5 semi-octagonal wall posts with moulded bases and capitals supporting arched braced wall plate with traceried spandrels cove, brattishing. Moulded through purlins and central ridge with bosses. Aisle roofs, 5 bays, have moulded arched braces with traceried spandrels and brattishing, carried by semi-octagonal wall posts with moulded bases and capitals set on C15 stone brackets, angels with scrolls. Moulded ridge and central rafter to each bay. Coving against outer and inner walls with brattishing. North aisle has extra arched traceried half bay over east end. C14 tower arch has trefoil section over, half pier and 2 angle quarter piers, moulded bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arch. Tower arch of c.1300, order of complex section, with central half columns and flanking colonnettes with rectangular fillets in between. C19 recut base, original capitals. Richly moulded arch, 2 label stop heads, label above cut away. To east, upper section of pier at south supported on C13 moulded corbel, perhaps to house rood screen below towards chancel. Fine tripartite polychrome C14 screen with traceried dado and gates, north and south lights with traceried heads, central ogee tracery arch with infilling trefoil. Much delicate upper tracery. South 4 centred rood stairs arch with in situ boarded door, first floor roof loft arch. At north 2-light Perpendicular squint with painted reverse side, under 4 centred arch with moulded intrados, spandrels and drip mould. Chancel has moulded 2 column sedilia, C15 replacement carved lintel in between with winged angels and rosettes. At north, angle piscina attached with C13 angle colonnette with stiff-leaf capital. East window has moulded internal arch with colonnettes with stiff leaf capitals. Moulded C14 north door with label stop heads. Furnishings: C14 and C15 hexagonal painted goblet pulpit, tracery panels. Mutilated illegible C15 octagonal seven sacrament font set on 2 levels of octagonal steps. Much in situ tracery C14 and C15 glass in lights of south aisle east window, north aisle east and west windows and 2 north aisle north windows. Tower arch screen c.1900. Chancel arch rood beam c.1920, designed for other churches.

Listing NGR: TF8552636232


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221632

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing