This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1077822

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fincham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 60 NE FINCHAM HIGH STREET (north side)

5/12 Church of St. Martin 8.7.59 - I

Parish church. Mid C15, restored 1847 and 1870. Flint and carstone with ashlar dressings. Leaded roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 3 stage tower with angle buttresses to belfry. Plinth with course of pointed trefoil arcading. Arched west door under square C19 surround. 4-light west window above. 2-light ringing chamber window south and one-light west. 3 light C19 belfry windows. Battlemented parapet with trefoil arcading. Gabled south porch with angle buttresses and carved parapet bearing inscription 1852, the date of restoration. South aisle with stepped flushwork buttresses leading through flushwork crenellated parapet to pinnacles with crockets and finials. 3-light 4-centred panel tracery aisle windows between buttresses each with stepped transoms. Clerestory windows of 3 lights with rising super- mullions and scissor motif. All windows with brick relieving arches. Rebuilt nave parapet. Chancel rendered. 2 3-light windows as aisle. Arched priest's door and crenellated flushwork parapet. 5-light east window elaborated from aisle type. North chancel obscured by 2 storey vestry of c.1500 : gabled with pantile roof; trefoil lancet to east with moulded hood on labels. One chancel and 5 north aisle windows as before. Plain stepped buttresses to north aisle plain parapets. North clerestory 2-light single reticulation units. 2-light window in nave east gable head under square hood on labels. Interior. Tall, heavily moulded tower arch on polygonal bases. 5 bay arcade : lozenge piers with fillets east and west. Double chamfered arches. Capitals only on south side. Windows above apex of arches. Hammerbeam roof with alternating braced and unbraced hammer-posts, which are in form of angels. Moulded arched braces to collars. One tier butt purlins and ridge piece, both moulded. Aisle roofs of arched braces to principals with pierced tracery spandrels. Chancel screen : 2 bays of 3 lights to right and left of arched central opening. Solid dado with 3 trefoiled arches each bay and painted flower scroll. Moulded stiles and muntins. Double cusped central opening and side lights arched with tracery head above curving transom. Chancel roof : short hammer-posts on arched braces to corbels. Arched braces from hammer- posts to collars. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Early C12 font with square bowl on 5 columns, each with roll capital and base. Each face of font of 3 arches of continuous arcade, each roll moulded arch carried on cushion capital, circular engaged column and moulded base. Above and below are dog-tooth decoration. Figures fill arches. South : the nativity with manger, ox, ass, Mary and Joseph; east : the 3 magi; west : Baptism of Christ with St. John the Baptist and a bishop; north : Adam and Eve and a serpent in The Tree of Knowledge.

Listing NGR: TF6880106458

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 68801 06458

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:28:51.

End of official listing