CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077838
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:51:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wormegay
National Grid Reference:
TF 65302 10904

Details

TF 61 SE WORMEGAY CHURCH LANE

2/49 Church of St. Botolph 8.7.59 _ I

Parish church. Mid C12 nave and chancel, the latter heavily restored in 1877, C14 west tower. Clunch, ashlar, carstone mixture with some brick, rendered in nave. Nave roof slate, chancel plain tiles. 3 stage tower with diagonal western buttresses to second stage. C15 3-light Perpendicular west window under moulded hood with head stops from which string course extends round tower. Blocked square-headed ringing chamber lancets to north, west and south, that to west below blocked triangular-headed window with brick surround. String course at belfry. 2-light trefoiled belfry windows. Brick crenellated parapet. Brick polygonal stair turret to south east braced by stepped buttress. Gabled south porch with raised parapet on shoulders entered through depressed arch. C12 south door : one order shafts with incised cushion capitals carrying herringbone decorated imposts below zig-zag arch. Zig-zag elaborated with modified beak head and with hood mould of cable decoration. Secondary bulbous imposts support tympanum with central relief of an alisee pattee cross surrounded by cable moulding which extends along bottom of tympanum. South nave pierced by 2 windows : one 2-light square- headed with hood on labels of mid C14, the other of paired pointed lancets without enclosing arch of mid C13. 2 plain buttresses. Chancel south with plain buttress and 2 renewed lancets. Rebuilt east wall of 1877 has 3-light intersecting window flanked by stepped buttresses. Similar buttress to north chancel and C20 brick buttress but no fenestration. North nave supported by 3 plain C19 brick buttresses. One C12 lancet, one early C13 round-headed lancet with hood mould. Blocked north door with C12 ashlar surround. Interior Ashlar surrounds to both nave doors. Triple chamfered tower arch. Plain octagonal font on plinth with 2 steps. C19 King post roof to nave. Windows with rere arches and wide splay to north lancet. C12 chancel arch : one order shafts with scalloped capitals below square imposts. Flat hollow chamfered inner arch on broaches. Zig-zag outer arch moulding. Billet hood decorated by roundels and lion's heads. Only zig-zag element not now of 1877. One shapeless recess left and right of chancel arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of 1877.

Listing NGR: TF6530210904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221523
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01829/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].