Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:48:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Bagthorpe with Barmer
National Grid Reference:
TF 79579 32212


TF 73 SE BAGTHORPE WITH BARMER BAGTHORPE 7/1 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53. II Parish Church, now redundant. 1853 - 1854 by W.J. Donthorn, architect. Knapped flint rubble, stone dressings, fish-scale pattern slate roofs with crested ridges. 4 bay nave and north porch, 2 bay chancel and north vestry. "Archaeo- logical" Gothic Revival, C14 Decorated details. 2-light west window with stone tracery and drip-mould head. Lancet in gable, eaves kneelers and coped parapet. Nave has 3 south lancets,one blocked, 2 north lancets. Buttresses divide bays and mark angles. North porch has boarded double doors and gabled roof. Stone eaves string course. East gable has coped parapet with 2 arch bell-cote at apex with coped parapet gable. Chancel has single 3-light Decorated east window. Fish-scale and cresting tiles largely replaced. Gabled north vestry. Interior: Nave roof has arch braced principals on stone corbels with painted heraldry of historic lords of the manor and contemporary donors. Norman font retained from previous church, rectangular on plan, angle colonnettes, knot motif interlace to one face only. Contemporary stained east window, probably William Wailes. The gift of Rev. Stephen Reed Cattley, incum- bent, and 2 Norfolk gentry families, Chad and Tomlinson, replacing a partly medieval building. Built in six months, June 1853 to January 1954, by the Syder- stone building firm of Harper and Sons.

Listing NGR: TF7957932212


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/11673/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].