Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077845

Date first listed: 16-May-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: THE MILL, STATION ROAD


Ordnance survey map of THE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:15:37.


Statutory Address: THE MILL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Snettisham

National Grid Reference: TF 68085 33469


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




II* Watermill with attached later granary. 1800, as per inscription, with a mid Cl9 granary. Carstone with brick dressings and quoins. Squared carstone to lower part of south facade whilst other parts of the original building in coursed rubble with brickwork to the walls of tail race and bypass channel. Granary with random laid carstone. Roofs of pantiles. Two stories with attic floor to mill building. Granary and mill each with a separate hipped roof. Easternmost bay houses the waterwheel. South facade of mill with boarded stable-door, shuttered two-light window and one unglazed two-light window to wheel bay. Brick semicircular relieving arch with flush tympanum on timber framework over tailrace. Inscription on stone plaque above reading: This mill was erected in a time of scarcity by voluntary subscription for the common benefit of the neighbourhood. AD 1800. 'Discite Justiciam moniti et non tempere leges',(Virgil, "Leges" replacing "Divos"). One shuttered two-light window to floor above. Granary with three cart entrances beneath segmental brick arches. Boarded double doors. Single boarded double door to upper floor with railing to mid height. East gable-end with large doorway across by pass channel into wheel chamber. Glazed two-light casement window above. Sluice to mill pond side of by-pass channel. North facade with one two-light casement window with glazing bars and a boarded door. Granary with two two-light windows with horizontal glazing bars. INTERIOR. Waterwheel with ventilated metal buckets and integral pitwheel driving the fine timber vertical drive shaft via the wallower. Tentering gear to two pairs of stones. Sluice crank to north. Great spur wheel above driving two sets of stones via cast iron stone nuts, and unusually also driving a further set of stones on the attic floor above, in this case with a timber stone nut. The lower two pairs of stones are over-driven, a very uncommon feature in watermills. Crown wheel clamped to great spur wheel driving a horizontal facetted shaft which powers a roller mill and the sack hoist. Roof structure of wedge-tenoned butt purlins. Lapped tenons in common mortise. One tie beam. Granary roof with dove-tailed collars and double tie beams. SOURCE: Nott, R. "Subscription Mill, Snettisham" Proceedings of the TIMS 6th International Symposium on Molinology, Belgium 1986.

This mill retains all its machinery, is in working order, and is a remarkable survival. There is also the historic interest in that it was built by public subscription on a co-operative basis for the benefit of the whole parish.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221441

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing