This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1077855

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BEXWELL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ryston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 60 SW 5/17

RYSTON, BEXWELL, Church of St. Mary The Virgin

9/7/51

II*

Parish church. Early C12 west tower, nave and continuous chancel, altered C14 and C15, restored 1874: Carstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 4 stage circular tower with late C14 octagonal belfry. 2-light Perpendicular west window under basket arch. Round-headed ringing chamber door and ring of blocked ashlar lancets above. Belfry above string course with 2-light Perpendicular windows and battlements. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses and 2-light Perpendicular side windows. 4-centred arch below pointed relieving arch of brick. Hood mould over inner south door on head stops. Holy water stoup to right and C15 statuary niche above apex with finial and incised vaulting. Nave pierced with one pointed C12 lancet north and south and additional smaller north lancet. Flat buttresses to nave and chancel and angle to east. One 2-light cusped Y window north and south and one 3-light C19 Perpendicular windows to east. East window is group of 3 lancets of 1874. North nave has large stepped late C18 brick buttress. Interior. Tall round- headed tower arch on square imposts. C12 lancets deeply splayed. C19 screen at west end of nave. Stepped sedilia in chancel with cinquefoiled piscina, the head of which is adapted to form aumbry. C19 king post roof.

Listing NGR: TF6314003409

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 63140 03409

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:55:11.

End of official listing