CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077863
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:09:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Anmer
National Grid Reference:
TF 73788 29502

Details

TF 72 NW ANMER

8/3 Church of St. Mary. 5/6/53

II*

Parish church. C14 Decorated and C15 Perpendicular, chancel mainly late C19 restored Early English. Rubble flint with stone dressings, late C19 plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel, south porch and south chapel. Perpendicular west tower with west door and 3-light window, 2 set off angle buttresses with flushwork, 4 2-light belfry windows, battlemented parapet. 3 bay nave, on north side with Decorated north door, 2 windows : one 4-centred 3-light and one straight headed 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows. Nave south with 2 blocked openings and one 2-light window between the south porch and south chapel under red brick relieving arch. Porch C14 Decorated arch, set off angle buttresses, north and south windows, ambitious stone pointed tunnel vault with tranverse arches appears late C19. South chapel built by Sir Oliver Calthorpe, Lord of Manor, C14 Decorated with one west lancet, one south window and fine flowing tracery 3-light east window, gable roof late C19. 2 bay chancel details externally largely late C19, 4-light intersecting tracery east window reproduces earlier evidence. Interior: Perpendicular tower arch with elaborate clustered pier and battlemented collar capital. Recut C15 font with shields. 7½ bay late C19 arched braced hammer beam roof. Perpendicular chancel arch with stairs and rood loft arch from south side. 3 bay late C19 chancel roof, internal details all late C19. Calthorpe Chapel to south restored 1895 with screen to Decorated arch from nave. 1895 panelled roof with bosses, reredos. 2 C18 wall monuments, ledger slab floor. C18 baluster font. Nave has Royal Arms of George III before 1801, 6 painted coldham hatchments. 1906 benches and screen across nave. West window in tower, Ward and Hughes 1884.

Listing NGR: TF7378829502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221384
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/04705/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].