CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077884
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077884.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:04:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Runcton Holme
National Grid Reference:
TF 61727 09488

Details

TF 60 NW RUNCTON HOLME CHURCH LANE

8/6 Church of St. James 8.7.59

- I

Parish church. Rubblestone and ashlar west tower mid C12, church originally early C12 but rebuilt C15 : nave of carstone, ashlar dressings and brick repair, chancel of brick. Restored 1842. Slate roofs. 3 stage tower with set-off strings at each storey. Lancets to first stage, 2-light ringing chamber windows under semi-circular super arch on annulated shafts. Third stage of brick, rebuilt C15 with 2-light Y belfry windows. Plain parapet. South porch of brick with 4-centred doubled chamfered arch and hood. Low diagonal buttresses below gable on kneelers in which is set lancet statuary niche. 2-light square-headed side windows, renewed. Interior pointed tunnel vault with transverse arches. South door early C12 : One order double annulated shafts with scrolled waterleaf capitals below chevron imposts supporting dog-tooth arch. Nave with 2 flat buttresses north and south and 2 square headed 2-light windows, on the south ogeed, on the north round- arched. Upper nave walls rebuilt in brick 1842. Diagonal buttresses to chancel with 2 2-light south windows and 3-light east window all 1842 in Decorated style. Vestry added to north chancel 1856. Interior. Flat semi- circular tower arch on square responds and imposts mid C12 below early C12 splayed west window of original church. To east the window deeply roll moulded, to west shafted with capitals decorated with dog-tooth. South door has sconscion arch. South nave with one blocked splayed lancet and splayed trefoil lancet to east. Stilted chancel arch on flat scalloped capitals (to south only). Nave and chancel roofs C19, the latter a false hammerbeam. Fine mid C17 hexagonal pulpit and tester. Arcaded panels with floral spandrels below interlace frieze and moulded top rail. Reading desk supported on floral scrolled brackets. Tester has interlace panels on frieze, paired modillions at corners and ball pendants. Early C15 chancel screen of 2 bays each side of central arched opening. Side bays with depressed arches on hollow and wave moulded muntins. Cusped dado panels and frieze of mouchette wheels above main arches. Diamond top rail.

Listing NGR: TF6172709488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221338
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10789/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].