Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GERMANS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077892.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:51:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Wiggenhall St. Germans
National Grid Reference:
TF 59693 14015


TF 5914 WIGGENHALL ST. GERMANS 12/26 Church of St. Germans 8.7.59

- I

Parish church. C13 west tower with C15 top, C15 nave, aisles and chancel, late C14 eastern extensions to aisles to form chancel chapels. Ashlar, carstone and brick. 3 stage tower supported by 2 western C19 flat buttresses. C19 2- light Y west window below fragment of lancet head. Lancets to 3 exposed sides of first 2 stages, that to lower south blocked. 2-light trefoiled belfry windows under 4-centred arch and stepped crenellations to parapet with carving. Corner pinnacles. South aisle with diagonal west buttresses and flat buttress augmented by 2 massive sloping brick C18 buttresses on south wall. 3 2-light windows under 4-centred arches. C16 brick south porch with diagonal buttresses and wide arch below gable. Octagonal turrets stand on shoulders of gable, crowning turret truncated. Arched 2-light side windows. 4 3-light clerestory windows with ogee lights between rising mullions under basket arches. Setback buttresses to chancel chapel and flat flanking buttress. 2 3-light Perpendicular windows south one east. 4-light restored Perpendicular east window. North chancel chapel extends to east wall : 3-light early C19 east window above door. Diagonal buttress. 3 2-light side windows similar. Continuous with north nave aisle : flat buttresses with 2 2-light windows and north door. Heavy brick repairs to west end. In third nave aisle bay a deeply undercut and scrolled external wall monument dated 1703. Interior. 4 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers with fillets between lobes on polygonal bases supporting polygonal capitals and double hollow chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apices of arches. Tower arch has demi-octagonal responds, double chamfered arch and roll moulded and dog-tooth hood. Wave moulded chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Queen post nave roof : moulded ties on arched braces to wall posts; moulded queen posts, principals and butt purlins. Ridge piece. Gabled north aisle roof largely C19. Rood stairs entered through ogeed shouldered arch. 2 bay arcade to chancel chapels as nave but with octagonal piers. Chancel roof C19. C17 dado panelling to east wall. Pulpit 1631 : hexagonal with panels of geometric carving. Early C17 reading desk with arched panel and scrolled brackets supporting platform and 2 turned balusters to side wings. 28 nave benches of c.1500 : pierced backs of various geometric patterns with carved bench ends with poppyheads, animal or figurative arm rests and carved figures in niches to side panels. North aisle arm rests depict scenes from life of St. Germans. Font 1851. Bowl and stem of second font of C14 with tracery panels.

Listing NGR: TF5969314015


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].