CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077896
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077896.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:05:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen
National Grid Reference:
TF 59864 11374

Details

TF 51 SE, 3/35

WIGGENHALL ST MARY MAGDALEN, CHURCH ROAD

Church of St Mary Magdalen

08.07.59

G.V.

I

Parish church. C13 lower stages to west tower of carstone and ashlar, early C14 belfry. Nave and aisles early C15, chancel Decorated with C15 alterations. Predominantly brick with some rubblestone and lead roofs.

Three-stage tower with angle buttresses. One lancet each side to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry windows with reticulation unit. 2-light west window and parapet crenellations rebuilt C19. Both aisle west windows blocked. 2-storey south porch of brick with ashlar dressings and diagonal buttresses. Polygonal stair turret to upper floor. Arched entrance below square-headed parvise window and 2-light side windows all C15. South door of same early C15 date: heavily wave and hollow-moulded jambs and arch within square surround, the spandrels with diaper and shields of Ingoldisthorpe family (left) and Howards (right). Nave aisles with flat stepped buttresses, angle buttresses to east. Each bay with 3-light Perpendicular windows of building campaign c.1420-1435 : 4-centred arches with hoods, cusped lights below embattled transom rising to cusped ogee arches with mouchette spandrels below second embattled transom in head above which are arched panels. West window of north aisle truncated to accommodate north door. Five clerestory windows of same date: 3-light with panel tracery under depressed arches. Nave parapet terminating at east with polygonal (south) or square (north) rood stair turrets with conical tops. Sanctus bellcote over gable end 2-light east gable window. Chancel with flat buttresses, diagonal to east. Three 3-light 4-centred panel traceried windows to south, one blocked north window. Restored 3-light intersecting east window.

INTERIOR. Five-bay arcade of octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals supporting double chamfered arches with hoods on head stops. Low stilted tower arch. Chancel arch and responds as nave. Clerestory windows above apices of arches. Nave roof of tie beams on arched braces with solid carved spandrels on grotesque corbels. Moulded queen posts to butt purlins and principals, also both moulded. Secondary principals on projecting crenellated beams with carved figures on lower face. Aisle roofs of moulded butt purlins and principals. Arched rood stair doors both sides and similar at rood level. Aisle windows casement and wave moulded inside. C19 king-post chancel roof. Stepped arched sedilia under square hood, trefoiled piscina and aumbry. Early C17 painted dado panelling at east wall: floriated arcade of eight bays with frieze and console brackets. Reeded and fluted Doric columns with entasis between bays. Parclose screen at north-west aisle bay C15 with ogee bays. Perpendicular poppyhead benches. Royal arms of George III over south door. North aisle windows contain many stained glass figures of saints of c1450. North chancel wall has monument to Peter Bateson 1729: various coloured marbles surround inscription tablet, brackets support lower rail between which is apron with coat of arms.

Listing NGR: TF5986411374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221367
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01876/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].