CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1077939

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HUNSTANTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:39:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HUNSTANTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Heacham

National Grid Reference: TF 68130 37968

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 6837 HEACHAM CHURCH LANE (north) and 9/3 HUNSTANTON ROAD (east) 5/6/53 Church of St. Mary the Virgin.

G.V. I

Parish Church. Late C13 cruciform plan with C15 and later alterations. Flint and slated nave, aisles, south porch, clerestorey, crossing tower;and flint, carstone and lead roofed chancel. West gable large 5-light Decorated window divided by battlemented transoms, elaborate tracery in head. Buttresses. South aisle 4 3-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds; north aisle 4 similar windows, C19 tracery. Perpendicular clerestorey, 4 rounded oculi on south, 4 quatrefoils on north. Central crossing tower with higher roof pitch visible, transepts replaced by c.1800 vestry on south with 3-light switch tracery window with east and west south walls of transepts retained as buttresses, on east with blocked perhaps Decorated window. Tower with south-east stairs turret, 2 blocked lancets on north and south faces, 4 belfry oculi, brick battlements and C18 hood and leaded cupola. North transept replaced c.1800 with additional east bay continuation of the north aisle, with 3-light switch tracery window and massive carstone buttress wedge rising to height of bell chamber with openings at this level. Chancel flint, clunch and carstone chequerwork, on south early C19 straight headed 3-light switch tracery window and 4-light east window. c.1300 south priest's door, early C19 lean-to vestry on north. South porch Perpendicular, knapped flint south face to churchyard, rubble flint east and west, stone dressings, niche with miniature vault. Early C19 brick dressings. Interior: springing of no longer extant vault, south door c.1300 2 orders of detached shafts with bases and capitals, richly moulded arch. Nave 5 bay north and south arcades c.1300, alternating octagonal or cylindrical piers with seat-bases, capitals, double hollow chamfered arches, hood-moulds with carved head label stops. Crossing c.1300 but altered : western arch tallest with octagonal half columns carrying stilted arch with some red scroll painting, and on east return detached shafts cut off below capital level. North arch with 3 attached Early English style shafts with bases and capitals, to south octagonal corresponding with those of nave. East arch and piers, scroll work c.1300. St. John Baptist figure painting on south west crossing pier. c.1500 rood screen, one-light divisions and tracery panels. Stalls mid C19. Lack of sedilia and piscina suggests c.1800 truncation or rebuilding of chancel. Monument 1830 to Nicholas Styleman Esq., by J.B. Armer, Snettisham, sculptor on Adam/Neo Classical style of c.1775. Nave : square stone font with quatrefoils, set on cruciform steps. Good collection of C18 wall tablets to Rolfe family of Heacham Hall, 8 Rolfe hatchments. Royal Arms George III. North aisle tomb Jacobean classical 1625 to Robert Redmayne; standing monument, stone, slate and polychromy.

Listing NGR: TF6813037968

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221183

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing