REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077953

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, OLD CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:29:33.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, OLD CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thundridge

National Grid Reference: TL3681017335

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NE THUNDRIDGE OLD CHURCH LANE (north side) Thundridge Bury 2/19 Remains of Old Church of St Mary and All Saints 24.1.67 II*

Church. W tower only remains. C15 tower with C12 doorway and C14 window set in blocking of tower arch when church demolished in 1853. Flint rubble with stone dressings and clunch moulded frames to openings. Roofed by a concrete slab at former parapet level. A tall 3-stage square W tower with diagonal buttreses at W corners. An internal spiral stair rises in the SW corner. W front has weathered string courses at each level with sloped plinth and protecting string course just above it. 3-light cusped C15 W window immediately over contemporary W door with 4 centred depressed head, hollow moulded jambs, spandrels, square surround and moulded label with grotesque heads as stops. Pointed loop to middle stage and 2-light traceried openings on each face of the bell stage. Large oval cast-iron tie plates at 2 levels on side walls. Chevron and dogtooth moulded arch and 2- light square headed, ogee traceried window with ferramenta and label with caved headstops, in blocking of equilateral C15 tower arch with hollow moulded imposts. Frame of hatchment fixed hiqh inside tower. Quatrefoil in circle dial stone on S face of tower. Stone slab dial fixed higher up on same face. Many carved C18 gravestones in surrounding churchyard with C17 and C18 brick wall. (RCHM (1911) 221: VCH (1912) 379: Pevsner (1977) 364).

Listing NGR: TL3681017335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356028

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 379
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 364
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing