CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1077956
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), BABBS GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077956.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:54:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), BABBS GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wareside
National Grid Reference:
TL 39467 15931

Details

TL 3915 WARE RURAL BABB'S GREEN (east side) Hareside 10/1 Church of the Holy Trinity (C of E) 24.1.67

GV II

Church. 1841 by Thomas Smith, polygonal vestry c1900. Yellow brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. C12 Italian Romanesque style small church with apsidal chancel (hexagonal outside) wide transepts with galleries, unaisled nave, vestry, and a vaulted crypt under the E parts. The galleries are reached by staircases in the angles between nave and transepts, the northern one carried up as an octagonal bell turret. W gable entrance, stone round-arched, enriched with dogtooth carving. Romanesque wheel-window over. Narrow round-headed windows. Consistent use of dogtooth round arches in interior on wooden pew ends, gallery fronts, and internal porch. Romanesque style wooden organcase with battlements. Nook-shafts and zig-zag ornament to apse. Corbels and cushion caps to crossing arch. Painted texts on walls. Flared stone font on short columns with scalloped cans. Victorian stained glass. Puginesque brass in chancel to Rev H H Coddington 1845. (Pevsner (1977) 332). Wareside

Listing NGR: TL3946715931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356033
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 332

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07759/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].