This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE HUNTING LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HUNTING LODGE

List entry Number: 1077964

Location

THE HUNTING LODGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wareside

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356045

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 41NW WARE RURAL BLAKESWARE

3/5 The Hunting Lodge (Formerly listed under Blakesware 23.12.74 Estate)

GV II

Model estate buildings, being converted to a house. 1870's probably by George Devey who rebuilt Blakesware for Mrs Gosselin 1876-9. A compact one and a half storeys group comprising a hall for estate dinners and functions on the N side, a large open sided carriage-house of equal size adjoining the S side of the hall, and a smaller generator house at the W end of the carriage- house. Red brick in English-bond with blue brick used for the lower parts of the square piers of the carriage house. E gable carriage-house dark weatherboarded but decorative timberframing with patterned brick nogging to other gables. Steep tiled roofs with upper part of E and W gables of hall projected in a hipped hood over upper glazed doors and former balcony. Gabled dormer windows in N roofslope and W side of roof of Generator house. S elevation has 6 bays formed by brick piers with primitive oak capitals and pads carry the wide-scan, kingpost, open roof of the carriage-house. Similar piers to the loggia at W end of hall. N elevation has 2 dormers in the roofslope and 5 windows. These are timber casement windows with leaded glazing under wide segmental arches. Similar arches to doors. Large chimney in valley between parellel roofs of N and S ranges. Decorative estate buildings of high quality.

Listing NGR: TL4057316386

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 40666 16489

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 09:15:53.

End of official listing