This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FARMHOUSE AT RED HOUSE FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT RED HOUSE FARM

List entry Number: 1077977

Location

FARMHOUSE AT RED HOUSE FARM, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tring Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355782

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING RURAL STATION ROAD SP 81 NE (West side) Long Marston 1/145 Farmhouse at Red House Farm 30.11.66 (Formerly listed as Red House Farmhouse) - II House. Circa 1500-1520 former open-hall house, chimney inserted in C17, E crosswing C19, lean-to at W end converted to part of house in later C20. Timber frame brick nogged, front and E wing stucco. Steep old red tile roofs. Medieval hall house of unusual plan with small lofty hall to E of present entrance, and 2, storeyed, bays extending to W of it ending in a jetty at W end. Service rooms were probably on site of C19 E crosswing. C17 conversion with back-to-back fireplaces, stair to rear and lobby entrance on N front, formed in first storeyed bay to W of hall which was then floored. A 2-storeyed, 3 windows house facing N with late E crosswing half-hipped and projecting to front and rear. Recessed 2-light and 3-light casement windows. 6-panel door with flat hood. Interior has exposed timbers, fine original deeply moulded cross beam to W of stack with ogee and hollow mouldings and mortices for joists removed when stack inserted. Solid knee brace to cambered tie-beam over. Straight tension braces in walls and curved wind-braces in roof. Closed truss remains at 1st floor to E of stack, formerly the W end of the open hall. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: SP8856516063

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 88565 16063

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:35:09.

End of official listing