This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SUTTON COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUTTON COURT

List entry Number: 1078028

Location

SUTTON COURT, CHURCH YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tring

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING CHURCH YARD SP 9211 (North side) 11/54 Sutton Court 21.9.51 (formerly listed as The Vicarage in Bishopsgate) GV II Clergy house, now offices. 1825 for Rev. Charles Lacy, incumbent 1819-39, and Dean and Chapter of Christ Church Oxford (rectors). Decorative chimneys said to have been specially designed for Lacy (Pevsner) who it is said also designed the elaborate gatehouse (q.v.) and had it built at his own expense (Richards). 2 matching parallel gabled W wings added 1873 in place of 1½ storeys projecting W range shown on Buckler dwgs of 1829 and 1832 (HRO), but retaining 2-shaft W chimney and adding 2 more shafts, porch heightened and extended to W for new staircase, and ground floor bay added below oriel on S end of E wing. Reduced by W end range and converted to offices 1971-5 with long extension along W side of forecourt not of special interest. Plum brick with stone dressings and steep red tiled roofs. A picturesque gabled Tudor style house of 2 storeys and cellar facing S, with a forecourt, behind the church. 3 parallel-roofed ranges in-line at N but each projecting at S front some way beyond the range on its E side. Front part of middle range is occupied by a stone floored entrance hall and staircase and in front there is a crenellated porch with octagonal brick corner turrets, 4-centred stone arched doorway with quatrefoil tracery in spandrels under moulded label with 2-light window to LH with quatrefoil headed lights to foot of stair. Plaque over door with cardinals hat (from arms of Christ Church). Half-glazed double doors. Steeply pointed gable parapet to middle range with coping following slope, blank sunk stone panel in gable, and 2 2-light windows with labels on 1st floor. Large upper floor chimney corbelled out from E sidewall with 2 fine spiral and reticulated moulded brick shafts with moulded bases and spurred caps. E range set back has half-octagonal stone crenellated oriel window to 1st floor with later canted stone bay window inserted below. Large canted stone bay window on E sidewall of tall reticulated terra cotta chimney. Tall 3-shaft elevations chimney projects at rear of E range. W range has a flatter pitch to gable parapet, large 3-light mullion stone window with label over a similar 4-light window on ground floor, and 4-shaft decorative chimney on W sidewall. The rear 2 shafts appear to be original. The principal rooms are on the ground floor, with plaster cornices and panelled woodwork. Cast iron balustrade to stair which starts under a half-arch with foliate capital as impost. 2 stained glass windows to stair with arms of Oxford University and Christ Church. (Pevsner(1977)368:Richards(1974)38: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: SP9242311567

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 368
Richards, S, History of Tring Buckinghamshire, (1974), 38

National Grid Reference: SP 92423 11567

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 02:19:51.

End of official listing