Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE BRIDGEWATER MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078046.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:39:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 97011 13118


In the entry for:

ALDBURY RINGSHALL ROAD SP 91 SE (west side) Moneybury Hill 5/3 The Bridgewater 14.5.52 Monument


The grade shall be amended to read: Grade II*


ALDBURY RINGSHALL ROAD SP 91 SE (West side) Moneybury Hill 5/3 The Bridgewater 14.5.52 Monument CV II Monumental column. 1831-2 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for Lord Farnborough as executor to will of 8th Earl of Bridgewater. Built by Philip Nowell of Pimlico 1831-. Pedestal inscribed c.1833 'IN HONOUR OF/FRANCIS, THIRD DUKE OF BRIDGEWATER/"FATHER OF INLAND NAVIGATION"/1832'. Grey micaceous granite, steps and interior of base in yellow freestone, finial a giant copper urn, wrought iron for balustrade round top, handrail and grill at entrance. A splendid neo-Classical monument in the form of a fluted giant Greek Doric column about 40m high surmounted by an urn, the abacus a viewing platform, with a tectonic stepped cubical base and battered high plinth with 2 offsets and tall vertical projections in the middle of each side. Rectangular entrance up 2 steps in E projection has plain surround with converging uprights, and faces the long, designed vista eastwards to the family seat, Ashridge House in Little Gaddesden parish q.v. Inscription quoted is inscribed with sunk sans serif lettering. Contemporary brass plate in entrance passage inscribed 'THIS COLUMN WAS ERECTED CONFORMABLE WITH THE INTENTION OF JOHN WILLIAM EARL OF BRIDGEWATER ACCORDING TO THE TESTAMENTARY DIRECTION OF FRANCIS HENRY EARL OF BRIDGEWATER AND WITH THE APPROBATION OF CHARLOTTE C. ANNE COUNTESS OF BRIDGEWATER IN HONOUR OF FRANCIS THIRD DUKE OF BRIDGEWATER, WHO BY DEVOTING THE ENERGIES OF HIS MIND TO THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THE MOST SPLENDID WORKS OF INLAND NAVIGATION OPENED A NEW FIELD TO NATIONAL INDUSTRY AND RENDERED THE MOST IMPORTANT SERVICES TO THE COMMERCIAL INTERESTS OF HIS COUNTRY'. The monument stands on a spur at the highest point in the parish, 731ft above ordnance datum. Kelly states that it was intended in commemoration of the completion of the Grand Junction Canal. The column is a formal monument to celebrate the canal era, built at its height and before the coming of the railways. (VCH(1908)143: Kelly(1914)19: Pevsner(1977)65: Derek Linstrum Sir Jeffry Wyatville: Architect to the King Oxford(1972)229).

Listing NGR: SP9701113118


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 143
Lindstrum, D, Sir Jeffry Wyatville: Architect to the King, (1972), 229
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 65
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 19


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05768/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Jarvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].