This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ROYAL HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ROYAL HOTEL

List entry Number: 1078049

Location

THE ROYAL HOTEL, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aldbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 91 SE, 5/6

ALDBURY, STATION ROAD (south side), Tring Station

The Royal Hotel

11.02.82

II

Hotel. 1838 for John Brown, a brewer of Tring, under arrangement with The London and Birmingham Railway Company. South wing rebuilt in brick in 1860's for Lord Lonsdale and further modified in 1937. Stuccoed brick, painted brick to west end facing yard, and yellow stock brick to south wing. Hipped slate roofs with plastered soffits to wide overhangs. A large square 3-storeys above cellar building facing north, with a long lower 2-storeyed south wing. Symmetrical north front lined as ashlar with plinth and regularly-spaced pilasters at comers and flanking the central porch bay. Three windows wide with lower second-storey windows and end chimneys. Recessed sash windows with moulded surrounds and unusual margin lights to each sash with central division and vertical sub-divisions. Large square open porch with pilasters and fluted wooded columns, low square bases, abaci and full entablature surmounted by a simple decorative cast-iron balustrade. Steps and margin light glazing to the double doors, and rectangular fanlight. Similar rectangular open porch with balustrade to entrance in south-east angle with rear wing. East end facing station has plinth comer pilasters and a central sash window to each floor. 10 recessed sash windows to south wing. Originally named The Harcourt Arms, but the name was changed between 1845 and 1851 (R.C.H.M. manuscript).

Note: the former stables ranges on the south and west sides of the courtyard to the west of the hotel are not included in this or any other list.

Listing NGR: SP9502812209

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 95028 12209

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:42:27.

End of official listing