TIMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078051

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Statutory Address: TIMBERS, 40, STOCKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TIMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:27:54.

Location

Statutory Address: TIMBERS, 40, STOCKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Aldbury

National Grid Reference: SP 96555 12675

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD SP 9612 (East side) 12/10 No. 40 (Timbers) 30.11.66 (Formerly listed as Timbers) GV II House. Early/mid C16 N part, S part rebuilt mid C17, hipped S extension late C18, restored with N extension 1931. Timber frame on brick sill with red brick infill panels. Roughcast N gable. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys, attic and cellar building facing W with single-storeys extensions to S and N. Older N part, with attic and cellar, is an original unheated parlour block serving an open hall to S replaced in C17 by a similar front-jettied 2 storeys block of matching floor and roofheight. W front has exposed timbers on both floors and 2 long flush 5-light casement leaded windows on each floor. N half has heavier wide-spaced uprights and heavy bull-nosed joists. Curious junction of jetty beams at middle of building. S part has slighter timbers and plain squared joists. Bottom plate of wall extends to S of centre where hall originally stood (and the best face of S wall of the N block is on S, to face into the former hall). Large external S gable chimney has had a flue added to serve the upper floor of the S part. Later N gable chimney to serve the parlour. This has chamfered and stopped joists and axial floor beam, stair trap trimmed by joists in NE corner, and remains of wall painting c.1600 below the rear staircase with lozenge geometric painted panels with fleurs-des-lis. (RCHM Typescript: Davis (1980) No.10).

Listing NGR: SP9655512675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355646

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing