51, MARLOWES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078078

Date first listed: 17-Feb-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jul-2010

Statutory Address: 51, MARLOWES

Map

Ordnance survey map of 51, MARLOWES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 06:29:30.

Location

Statutory Address: 51, MARLOWES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 05546 07345

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD

894/1/21 MARLOWES 17-FEB-77 51 (Formerly listed as: MARLOWES 45)

II The building was formerly a house, now a shop dating from c1741, remodelled in the early C19 and with a C20 ground floor extension.

MATERIALS The main materials are red brick exposed to the rear elevation with stucco to the principal elevation. The roof is covered with tiles.

PLAN The building has a square plan with a pair of semi-circular bow windows to the principal elevation.

EXTERIOR The building has three storeys and two full height bows and a hipped roof behind a low parapet. The building has 3:1:3 sash windows with glazing bars in the reveals. At first floor the bow windows have bracketed sills, surrounds, friezes and cornices. At ground floor there is a central doorway with an open pediment on Corinthian attached columns. There is a single storey C20 Neo-Georgian style projecting shop front to the right and two-storey wing to the left which is slightly recessed. Interior not inspected.

HISTORY Hemel Hempstead lies approximately 30 miles north-west of London, and while a settlement has existed there since C8, what is today known as old Hemel Hempstead has since been subsumed by the New Town's redevelopment programme of the early post-war years. The town was granted a charter by Henry VIII in 1539, and by virtue of its strategic location on the shortest route between London and the Midlands, has played a significant role in terms of transport and communications. It is probably for this reason that Hemel Hempstead suffered such extensive bomb damage during World War II and had to be re-planned in the mid C20.

Sources: Page, W, A History of the County of Hertfordshire, Vol 2, (1908)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION No 51 Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic: This building, dating from the mid C18, has a substantial proportion of its original historic fabric surviving. * Architectural: The building, having been remodelled in the early C19, is an evolved structure, with features such as the twin bow windows, indicative of its different stages of development and representative of architecture that is at the forefront for the period, thus adding to its architectural distinctiveness and special interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355614

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing