CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1078203
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078203.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Craswall
National Grid Reference:
SO2814736279

Details

SO 23 NE 1/1 26.1.67

CRASWALL CP

Church of St Mary

II*

Parish church. Early C15, C17 south porch, internal wall separating western part of nave probably of C18, restored 1883. Sandstone rubble, timber-framed bell turret with weatherboard cladding, stone slate roofs. Nave with bell turret and south porch, chancel. Nave and chancel of six bays; west bell turret with pyramidal roof; south front, small gabled dormer with casement window toward centre, one square-headed window opening to left and two similar square-headed 2-light windows of 1883 restoration to right of gabled C17 south porch; C15 inner doorway with moulded jambs and 3-centred head; the two windows to right flank a further doorway probably of C15 date with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head; early C15 square-headed east window survives with three cinquefoiled-ogee- headed lights, no windows on north wall with only traces of one blocked square-headed window on exterior at eastern end; continuous stone bench runs along the east and south sides of the chancel and the east side of the south porch. Interior: two western bays of nave are separated from the remainder of the church by the added wall and now used as a vestry, access through south porch and through a later square-headed doorway in interior, formerly an arched opening; renewed roof presumably contemporary with dividing wall; remaining four bays of nave and chancel with braced collar-beam trusses blocked below the trusses may indicate the former existence of tie-beams, three rough tie-beams have been added at a later date, soffit of roof is boarded, traces of painted foliage decoration survive on purlins of eastern bay; moulded and embattled wall-plate. To west of nave against inserted wall is a C18 wooden gallery lit by the dormer window; south wall of chancel, piscina with two drains not in situ; church retains two C18 oak communion tables; font of 1912. The east window and piscina are reputed to have come from Craswall Priory. The vestry was used as a school room during C19. To the north of the church is a shallow rectangular depression said to have been a Fives Court; to the north-west is a further depression said to have been used as a cockpit. [BOE, p 107; RCHM Vol I, p 42).

Listing NGR: SO2814736279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355310
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 42
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 107

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12302/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].