Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078233

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, B 4208


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 14:09:38.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, B 4208

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Welland

National Grid Reference: SO 79697 39972


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WELLAND CP B 4208 SO 73 NE 4/176 Church of St James - II

Church. 1875 by J W Hugall. Rubble with slate roofs and shingle spire. Comprises a nave, north and south aisles, south-west tower, and lower chancel. In the west wall of the nave are 3 stepped trefoiled lights under pointed heads with trefoil. The tower has angle buttresses. The bell openings have 2 pointed openings with stone louvres under a pointed head. The broach spire has lucarnes. A clock face on the west side below the bell stage is dated "1897". The lower stage of the tower contains a porch with pointed south doorway. Above it is a blind arcade of 3 pointed arches. The south aisle has windows of 3, 2 and 2 trefoiled pointed lights. A curved wall at the east end of the aisle links it to the chancel. It contains 3 pointed lights. The south chancel window is of 3 lights. The north aisle window are of 3, 2, 2 and 2 lights. The north chancel window is of 3 cusped lights under a pointed head. The east window is of 3 foiled lights with a foiled circle over. A crypt is let by a 3-light pointed window. Interior: arcades of 4 bays to north and 3 to south. Arches are pointed with edge roll mouldings and spring from round piers banded with alternate grey and yellow stone which have foliated capitals. Roof trusses have arch-braced collars supporting king-posts turned to a round section braced to the ridge. The inner order of the pointed chancel arch springs from corbelled responds. At the north end of the south aisle is a chapel with curved outer wall. A pointed arch in the north wall of the chancel contains an organ. There are double sedilia and a piscina. The east window contains good late C19 glass probably by Hardman. A decorated wall tablet in memory of Thomas Evans (died 1671) is re-set on the wall of the north aisle.

Listing NGR: SO7969739972


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355179

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing