This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REAR ENTRANCE GATEWAY, STEPS AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS AT TOXTETH PARK CEMETERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REAR ENTRANCE GATEWAY, STEPS AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS AT TOXTETH PARK CEMETERY

List entry Number: 1078256

Location

REAR ENTRANCE GATEWAY, STEPS AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS AT TOXTETH PARK CEMETERY, SMITHDOWN ROAD AND ARUNDEL AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477116

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ3788 LlVERPOOL SMITHDOWN ROAD AND ARUNDEL AVENUE

392/33/10119 Rear entrance gateway, steps and attached boundary walls at Toxteth Park Cemetery GV II

Rear entrance gateway with steps and attached boundary walls at municipal cemetery. The gateway is in line with the main axis, and the walls enclose the cemetery on south, east and west sides. 1856, by TD Barry, possibly altered 1884. Gateway and steps ashlar, Gothic Revival style, similar to the Anglican cemetery chapel. 2 square cells, topped with blind traceried octagonal turrets, each with a moulded 4-centred arched doorway with shafts and fleurons, containing a 3-lobed, traceried wrought iron turnstile. On the inner side, each opening is approached by steps with an intermediate landing, formerly with a blind traceried coping to the balustrade wall. To the east, a plaque inscribed "This entrance opened to the public 25th March 1884". On the outer side, each entrance is flanked by a curved wall and wrought iron railing. Between the entrances, an open arcaded screen, with rusticated plinth and central buttress. Attached on either side, boundary wall with buttresses, red brick with blue brick coping, extending approx. 200m east of the entrance and 300m west. This southern wall is higher than the remainder, and has a deep plinth. The return wall to east is approx. 350m long, that to the west approx. 500m



Listing NGR: SJ3755888713

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 37558 88713

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2018 at 05:02:32.

End of official listing