DRAYTON HOUSE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND WALLS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN TO EAST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1078321
Date first listed:
29-May-1996
Statutory Address:
DRAYTON HOUSE, 30, GORDON STREET
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND WALLS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN TO EAST, 173-177, EUSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRAYTON HOUSE
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND WALLS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN TO EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078321.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:11:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRAYTON HOUSE, 30, GORDON STREET
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND WALLS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN TO EAST, 173-177, EUSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29617 82481

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2982SE EUSTON ROAD 798-1/94/1819 (South side) 29/05/96 Nos.173-177 Friends' Meeting House and walls, railings and garden to east

GV II

Includes: No.30 Drayton House GORDON STREET. Central Offices of the Religious Society of Friends in Britain, including offices, meeting halls and library; separate lettable office accommodation incorporated in Drayton House to the west of block, completing the symmetry of the main facade. Completed in 1927 to the designs of Hubert Lidbetter, ARIBA; Grace and Marsh Ltd. General Contractors. Steel construction sheathed in brick laid in English bond and Portland stone dressings; metal framed windows to rear elevation, otherwise wood sashes, all of original design. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement. Long rectangular block divided in 3 by 2 interior courtyards; large meeting house at the centre, square in plan; library at south-east corner of block; small meeting house, formerly double height now subdivided, to rear of centre block, windows to south. Long elevation to Euston Road dominated by tetrastyle in antis portico, itself framed by bays; this central section, which marks the extent of the large hall, in Portland stone, with recessed ranges leading to hall's foyer. Slightly recessed side ranges of 10 windows each. All openings flat arched unless otherwise stated. The penultimate ranges to either side marked by the use of Portland stone, having a semicircular windows to ground floor, balconied window to first floor set in moulded architrave, and keyed roundel to second floor. Cornice band continuous to entire block and separating second from attic storey. East and west elevations identical and centred about a distyle-in-antis portico, slightly projecting from side ranges of 5 windows each. To east elevation series of terraces and walls lead down to garden, which is enclosed on north and south by a low Portland stone wall with railings similar in design to those enclosing basement areas. South elevation features projecting range of 5 bays, the openings round-arched with metal framed windows; bays one and 5 are separated from the centre 3 bays by a recessed range. The latter 3 windows mark the extent of the former small meeting house. INTERIOR: main entrance to offices through east elevation,



into low lobby with stairs to second floor; this overlooks the east courtyard with circular brick fountain and French doors opening from corridors to north and south. Most of the ground-floor corridors and stairs retain original fixtures and finishes; committee rooms, some of them with moveable partitions, also retain original panelling, door furniture and fittings. The library is double height, 3 x 4 bays at east corner to Endsleigh Gardens. It was sensitively refurbished in 1993, retaining much of the original woodwork, and galleries to west and north. Great Hall with flat roof coffered, carried on square piers and pilasters, with galleries on three sides. Drop acoustic ceiling from line of architrave hides original ceiling, but this is said to be survive intact above. Railings and fitted furniture to hall also intact. 3 entrances to hall foyer from Euston Road; these doors of original design. Small meeting house of 3 bays to rear, south, has been divided to provide committee rooms on ground floor. Courtyard between Drayton House and central block has been partly filled in by recent 2-storey addition providing extra toilet and other facilities for Great Hall. The addition has been sensitively designed. The interior of Drayton House not inspected. It is said to retain much of its original finishes. The building retains most of its original character, fittings and finishes. The interiors are well designed and detailed, particularly in the east block around the courtyard. Hubert Lidbetter designed many buildings for the Society of Friends; this is the most ambitious. (The Builder: 24 June 1927: 1008).

CAMDEN

TQ2982SE GORDON STREET 798-1/94/1819 No.30 29/05/96 Drayton House

GV II

See under: Nos.173-177 Friends' Meeting House and walls, railings and garden to east EUSTON ROAD.



Listing NGR: TQ2960382461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 24th June, (1927), 1008

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12053/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].