This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

26 AND 26A, FERNCROFT AVENUE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 26 AND 26A, FERNCROFT AVENUE

List entry Number: 1078344

Location

26 AND 26A, FERNCROFT AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2585NW FERNCROFT AVENUE 798-1/24/433 (North East side) Nos.26 AND 26A

GV II

Detached house and attached former coach/motor house now converted to a dwelling. 1898, coach/motor house possibly later. By CHB Quennell; built by GW Hart. No.26: red brick with tile-hung 1st floor. Tiled hipped and gabled roofs with overhanging bracketed eaves, tall brick chimney-stacks and dormer with small gable. Asymmetrical design. 3 storeys. 3 windows plus single storey 2-window right hand bay. Left hand gabled bay with canted bowed bay sash windows to ground having entablature lintel which continues across the facade on columns and 1st floor with pulvinated lintel and cornice and tile-hung apron. 3rd floor Venetian type sash window in gable with short lengths of moulded cornice at angles to appear as a broken pediment. Central entrance bay with porch formed by entablature and columns with enriched capitals and cast-iron and glass hood; part-glazed panelled door with overlight. To right, a tripartite sash with corresponding sash at 1st floor and single sash above porch. Single storey bay has 2 sashes with gauged brick flat arches, a brick modillion cornice and blocking course. No.26A: red brick. Tiled hipped and gables roofs with overhanging eaves and eaves cornice extending across the gabled left hand bay to form a pediment. Asymmetrical design. 2 storeys. Irregular fenestration of 2 windows. Former vehicle entrance in gabled bay converted to a window and entrance with central casement above having relieving arch in pediment with arrow slit window above. Right hand bay with segmental-arched window appearing behind a C20 window and staircase leading to 1st floor entrance with porch formed by entablature carried on a column; 3-light 1st floor window. INTERIORS: not inspected. (British Architect: 2 September 1898).



Listing NGR: TQ2546985978

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'British Architect' in 2nd September, (1898)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25469 85978

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2018 at 01:03:02.

End of official listing