This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TITHE BARN TO SOUTH OF CAMPDEN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TITHE BARN TO SOUTH OF CAMPDEN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1078465

Location

TITHE BARN TO SOUTH OF CAMPDEN HOUSE, COMBE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chipping Campden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. COMBE 5224 Tithe barn to south of Campden House SP 13 NW 3/80 25.8.60

II* GV

2. Dated 1628, restored circa 1846 for Lord Gainsborough and again in the 1930s, probably by Norman Jewson. Ashlar with Cotswold stone roof. Two storeys, heavy C17 ogee moulded footings, and chamfered plinth over. Moulded string. Vents in form of crossed arrow loops as on south gable of Court House (qv). Heavy stepped buttresses to west gable. Cross plan with projecting gables over elliptical-headed through doors which have corniced 3 light mullion windows above. East end of ground floor converted to Estate Office. Queen-strut roof. The grange of Combe used to belong to Bordesley Abbey, which may indicate an earlier foundation date for this large tithe barn.

Listing NGR: SP1332037675

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 13320 37675

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:42:23.

End of official listing