This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARKET HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARKET HOUSE

List entry Number: 1078631

Location

MARKET HOUSE, MARKET SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 125698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7225-7325 NEWENT MARKET SQUARE

13/165 Market House

2.10.54

GV II

Market House; late C16 or early C17, restored 1864 for R.F.Onslow. Heavy timber posts on stone bases, ground floor; close-studded timber-framing, white-rendered infill above: tiled roof. 3-bay hall, small semi-octagonal extension one end: 2 storeys. Ground floor slight chamfer to posts, row down centre of building, curved braces to bressumers: posts to semi-octagon much smaller section. First floor close studding, no centre rail: straight braces corner posts to bressumer: 4-light timber window, flat head, trefoil- heads to lancets. Gable over centre north-east face: raised on small, square panels, curved corner decoration. Diagonal timbers form diamond-set square pattern,carved bargeboards, timber finial, iron weathervane. Extension 1 lancet per face, hipped roof. Right return as north-east face, but heavy jowls to posts: gable close studded up to collar, V-struts above. Wooden steps up to external door south-west face. Internally, open below. Upper hall boarded, panelled sloping ceiling: cambered tie-beams to 2 trusses; measured drawing exhibited in hall shows 2 pairs angle struts, collar and V-struts over. Extension forms separate room; added 1864. Photograph of c1840 painting in hall shows exterior largely unaltered by restoration. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument, AM No 114. (Kelly's, Gloucestershire Directory, 1885.)

Listing NGR: SO7225525831

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1885)

National Grid Reference: SO 72255 25831

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 12:45:48.

End of official listing