FARM STORE AT HARTPURY COURT, BETWEEN HOUSE AND PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078671

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: FARM STORE AT HARTPURY COURT, BETWEEN HOUSE AND PARISH CHURCH, MURRELLS END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARM STORE AT HARTPURY COURT, BETWEEN HOUSE AND PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:13:12.

Location

Statutory Address: FARM STORE AT HARTPURY COURT, BETWEEN HOUSE AND PARISH CHURCH, MURRELLS END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Hartpury

National Grid Reference: SO 78040 23614

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 72 SE HARTPURY MURRELLS END ROAD

8/56 Farm Store at Hartpury Court, between house and parish church (formerly listed as Catholic Chapel) 2.10.54

GV II

Former Roman Catholic Chapel and adjoining Cottage, now farm store. 1830 for R. Canning. Coursed, squared lias stone, slate roof, cottage brick. 4-window chapel, with 2-window cottage on half back; cottage 2 storeys. Chapel parallel to road: 4 semi-circular headed windows,stone voussoirs, leaded lights with coloured glass. Centre 2 windows now shortened at foot, for double, sliding doors to late C20 entry replacing central porch. Low-pitch roof, parapet gables, plain cross on left apex, short chimney on right. Internally, chapel oriented North-South, with main altar at north end. Ceiling plastered, 2 of 3 roses remain: heavy cornice (some plaster fallen). Only beam of south gallery remains, with brick pilasters at ends (originally 2 Ionic columns in centre). Outline of stairs to gallery on East wall; 6-panelled door originally providing access to first floor of Court in corner, before Hartpury Court rebuilt. Walls plastered, green dado, stepping up for sanctuary. 6-panelled door from sanctuary to cottage. Rear wing central door with plain 2-pane fanlight over, giving onto stairs: blocked door and 2-light timber casement, cambered-brick arch on right. On left front wall removed on ground floor, and stone- walled leanto added to form garage. First floor 2 four-pane sashes, brick-arch head. Gable chimneys, projects slightly on left. Chapel built by Cannings of Hartpury House (q.v.) for nuns then living at Hartpury Court (q.v.) Services ceased during or soon after Second World War. Listed mainly for historical interest. (Kelly, Gloucestershire Directory, 1870, 1897, 1910. Notes at Hartpury Primary School by Miss Davies; photograph of interior, 1936).

Listing NGR: SO7804423614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 125588

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1910)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1897)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1870)

End of official listing