WADESMILL BRIDGE OVER RIVER RIB IN MIDDLE OF VILLAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078710

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Statutory Address: WADESMILL BRIDGE OVER RIVER RIB IN MIDDLE OF VILLAGE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WADESMILL BRIDGE OVER RIVER RIB IN MIDDLE OF VILLAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:24:11.

Location

Statutory Address: WADESMILL BRIDGE OVER RIVER RIB IN MIDDLE OF VILLAGE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thundridge

National Grid Reference: TL 35885 17456

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3517 THUNDRIDGE CAMBRIDGE ROAD Wadesmill 9/10 Wadesmill Bridge over River Rib in middle of village

GV II

Roadbridqe over River Rib. 1824-5 by Mr Robson for Cheshunt Turnpike Trustees: contractors Brough & Smith of London. Grey/yellow brick with grey granite columns, string course, and haunched beams and reused limestone copings. 31 feet wide, with 2 semi-circular arches of 25 foot span, resting centrally on a row of 6 unfluted Greek Doric columns, each of 2 drums of grey granite, with an angled haunching of granite at the springing of each arch. The river is at a slight angle to the road and a projecting plain brick dripcourse over the 18 inch arch rings obscures any irregularity on the side faces. A stepped pilaster buttress marks each abbutment and a slightly out-curved brick wall, topped by a brick parapet over the granite string course, extends to a square landward pier at each corner. The chamfered stone coping and pier cappings were probably reused from the 1767 repairs to the previous bridge. The original iron latticed side rails to the central spans were replaced to a simpler pattern after being damaged in 1966. An unusual Neo-Classical design. Branch Johnson notes that it is one of the best bridges in the county (Branch Johnson (1970) 113).

Listing NGR: TL3588517456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356001

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 113

End of official listing