This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MALTINGS ON EAST BANK OF RIVER LEA 50 METRES SOUTH OF BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MALTINGS ON EAST BANK OF RIVER LEA 50 METRES SOUTH OF BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1078761

Location

MALTINGS ON EAST BANK OF RIVER LEA 50 METRES SOUTH OF BRIDGE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanstead Abbots

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3811 STANSTEAD ABBOTS HIGH STREET (south side) Stanstead Abbots village 13/15 Maltings on E bank of River Lea 50 metres S of bridge

GV II

Former maltings now workshops. Early C19 (on 1840 Tithe Map), closed c1967. Yellow brick, weatherboarding in parts, slate roofs largely replaced by asbestos cement covering. Long, 12 metre wide malting with 2 floors and high roof lying N-S. Pilasters and corbelled eaves define 11 bays each with a small segmental arched wooden window to each floor, except wider bay at S end which is weatherboarded in the upper half. This was for steeping barley before spreading it on the malt floors. At N end of malting a kiln in plum brick with half-hipped roof running E-W and ridge cowl raised on stilts and weatherboarded with hipped asbestos roof. 2-storeys malt store at N end roofed N-S with weatherboarded upper floor and gable over yellow brick ground floor. Small 2-light casements and 2 large loading doors inserted on W side. The maltings belonged to French and Jupp from at least 1874. A landmark when entering the village from the W.

Listing NGR: TL3831411779

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 38314 11779

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:11:39.

End of official listing